Friday, July 1, 2011

Day Three, July 1, 2011

Day Three......or not.

My knee was still quite sore.  I didn't sleep well.  In part I was agonizing what to do.  The forecast was for temps 95 - 99 with a heat index of 105 - 110, with a southwest wind (the direction I was heading) of 15 mph.  Given my knee and the weather, I decided at 4 a.m. that I was going to stay put for a day.  I had a couple of offers of a ride home and I gave in to temptation.  My plan was to wait a day but it was still going to be windy, hot and humid.  Part of me wishes I would have toughed it out but I just didn't know about how much my body could take.  I feel as if I failed.  Instead, I realize that I have learned from this.  Here's some of my learning:

1)  I pushed myself beyond what I thought I could do.  There was one moment of despair.  On the trail, in the middle of nowhere between Shawano and Wausau, aching joints and dozens of deer flies buzzing about, unable to swat them as I needed to keep both hands on the handle bars because of the weight, I wondered why I was doing this.  But at that point, I had no options.  So sometimes things seem rather hopeless but they will change for the better.


2)  It was my dad who gave me a ride home.  I had called home because my mom was worried.  My dad really wanted to give me a ride home.  The proverbial straw for me was getting to spend two hours riding home in conversation with my father.  I enjoyed that.  At one point, he said that all too soon I would be having to bail him out and come to his needs.  I know that and I recognize that.  I'm not sure if I am ready for that.  Hopefully my own kids know that they can always call on me.  And hopefully I will be around for them.  We never stop being a parent.  (Apparently)


3)  As I biked on the abandoned rail corridors I reflected on our world.  I don't know that we have changed for the better.  I passed through small towns that had character.  And as I could sometimes hear the sounds of roaring traffic that long ago bypassed these towns, I wonder if this really is progress.  


4)  I learned to appreciate the sense of smell along the way.  I smelled newly cut hay and the fermenting wondrousness of haylage.  I could smell newly cut wood and down the road I passed a saw mill.  Free stall farms have a distinct odor from conventional farms.  I have noticed that I am keenly aware of smells when I bike.


5) I heard the sounds of people waking up.  As I proceeded west before dawn I saw America come to life.  Some of the America were humans, getting ready for work or the day's events.  I also heard the creatures of the forest come to life.  Many croaking frogs and chirping birds.  I startled and got startled by a number of deer.  


6) I learned that friendships are important in this world.  As one person I met said, "After all, we're all just part of one big planet trying to get along as best we can."  I was able to reconnect with a friend and I realize that I have the love and support of many people.  I feel fortunate to have crossed paths with so many wonderful people.


7)  I have a supportive family who tolerates this passion that I have for biking.


8)  That next time, and I hope it is soon, I will pack lighter!  I brought some ridiculous things with me.  I'll leave it at that.  I know that with less gear my body will hold up better.  Now, where is my calendar....

No comments:

Post a Comment