Friday, July 8, 2011

To Trempealeau - morning ride

I left at 5:45 am to go to Trempealeau.  I was greeted early on by my requisite deer.  I paused to take out my camera and this one paused to look at me and pose.



  So is this where Betty Jo, Billie Jo and Bobbie Jo hung out?

One of the things that I love about the Rails to Trails is the connection to the hey day of the railroading days.  There was plenty to offer in that regard along this section.  A benefit was the trail paralleling existing rail lines so every now and then you could hear and see trains.  I loved it!  And why do so many have a fascination with trains?  I love traveling by train.  And unless you are in a hurry and stopped for a train, there is something idyllic about trains that captivates many, self included.






Along the trail is a Hopewell Indian burial mound.  This was an surprise to me.  




There was a nice rest area looking out over the flats along the water, Lake Onalaska or the Mississippi.

I also noticed a pair of cranes.  Wait, are those the same cranes I played chicken with a few days ago?  Are they stalking me?


And I made it to Trempealeau, just under 26 miles round trip.  








No comments:

Post a Comment