Friday, July 8, 2011

More learning

So, from my recent travels, what have I learned:

1)  I don't know that I am a distance rider.  By that I mean, do I see myself biking across the country, day after day.  That idea intrigues me but I don't know if that is who I am.  I am an urban biker and a bike commuter.  Just as I learned that I am not a bike racer, perhaps I need to take this lesson to heart.  I am who I am and I need to live in a way that is true to myself.  Of course I may need to experiment from time to time to see where I fit.  In the end, I need to do what is comfortable for me.

2)  I have had plenty of time to think while biking.  I like that forced concentration time.  Lately, I have been thinking a lot of my kids heading off to college....instant empty nest come August.  I have a good cry every few days and then I move on.  I know this is the way things are supposed to work.  I just think I would have made a terrible Robin.  I never would have kicked the little birds out of the nest.  But I guess that wouldn't be good for anyone.  And as I ride the trail, the path takes me somewhere.  I am excited to see what is around the next corner or in the next town.  I keep telling myself that this is just the way it is for my kids.  I am excited to see what is in store for them in their next chapter...on their path.  It might be something cool or something scary but like me on my bike, they have what they need to get through it and enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment